Medical Records Specialist
Atlanta, GA | Billing
Position Summary:This is an entry level position responsible for processing all release of information (ROI) specifically medical record requests in a timely and efficient manner ensuring accuracy and providing customers with the highest quality product and customer service. Associate must, at all times, safeguard and protect the patient’s right to privacy by ensuring that only authorized individuals have access to the patient’s medical information and that all releases of information are in compliance with the request, authorization, company policy and HIPAA regulations.
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Associate’s degree in Business Administration or related field preferred
- Previous Medical Records or Customer Service experience required
- Medical insurance billing and claims processing preferred
- Excellent phone, communication, organizational skills, computer skills and mathematical skills
- Ability to maintain patient confidentiality
- Experience with Data Entry
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and Word
- Receives incoming requests for information and responds to requests by opening mail, assisting team members, telephone inquiries, and retrieving facsimile inquiries in a timely manner
- Date stamps all requests and highlights pertinent data to facilitate processing
- Validates requests and authorizations for release of medical information according to established procedures and HIPAA guidelines
- Completes release of information requests including retrieving patient’s medical charts and returning charts, copying/scanning medical records accurately and correctly, according to requests, established procedures, and established standards of quality and productivity; and electronically transmits medical record to processing operations
- Performs quality checks on all work to assure accuracy of the release, confidentiality, and proper invoicing
- Provides excellent customer service by being attentive, respectful and professional at all times; insures understanding of customer request and follows-through as promised; being proactive in identifying and addressing member concerns, or problems
- Demonstrates helpful and effective telephone etiquette and customer service skills by providing appropriate information to callers
- Maintains a clean and orderly work area, insures that records and files are properly stored before leaving area, and insures adequate supplies to meet customer requests
- Maintains working knowledge of the current state laws regarding fee structure, and HIPAA regulations as well as facility policies and procedures in regards to release of information
- Works within scope of position and direction; willingly accepts assignments and is available to take on additional member facilities and assist with ROI backlogs
- Maintains confidentiality, information security and ethical behavior when handling all Company and medical records information during transport, storage and disposal. Will not remove medical records information from member site
- Attends and participates in required educational training sessions and staff meetings as scheduled and assigned
- Ability to adapt to change and respond to difficult and challenging situations in a professional manner.
- Accepts new assignments willingly to meet business needs
- Communicates with Manager on an on-going basis, providing information and data as requested including member’s changing needs and requests
- Promptly reports to Manager any customer service concerns and/or any potential HIPAA violations whether actual or perceived
- Informs Manager of work difficulties, special project requests from facility, and fluctuating volume in daily workload
- Ability to accurately and efficiently utilize a computer for data input, retrieval of data and all other tasks associated with release of information services and time reporting.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, organize workload and prioritize work tasks to meet production goals
Required knowledge, skills and ability:
Customer service skills:
- Ability to represent the Department in a professional manner when interacting with patients, guests, providers and other team members
- Ability to handle service issues professionally
- Ability to follow through with customers
- Ability to communicate effectively to patients about their medical conditions and the financial aspects of their care
- Ability to type proficiently
- Ability to function effectively as extension of the Center
- Be flexible and open-minded in thought processes
- Maintain focus under pressure
- Share relevant information with other employees
- Volunteer to assist others when time permits
Note: this job description is not inclusive of all the duties of the position. You may be asked by leaders to perform other duties. Management reserves the right to revise this position description at any time.
All qualified persons are granted an equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation and gender identity or expression, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, genetic information, medical condition, family care leave status, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, otherwise qualified disabled or veteran status. The company will comply with all fair employment laws in each of the jurisdictions where we conduct business.
Job, emergency, healthcare, licensure, medical, clinical, wellness, career, employment, opening, staff, benefits, health care, clinic, primary care, urgent care
GoHealth Urgent Care has outstanding career opportunities in Connecticut, Delaware, Missouri, New York City, North Carolina, Northwest Arkansas, Oklahoma City, San Francisco and the Portland-Vancouver area. And all of these positions have one thing in common: flexibility to practice urgent care medicine the way it was meant to be, without the stress and bureaucracy of hierarchical organizations. With reasonable work hours that don’t emotionally exhaust them or burn them out, our team can balance and prioritize their professional and personal lives.
The lifestyle you can lead.
Atlanta is Georgia’s state capital and home to approximately half a million residents. Well known for its arts, theater, galleries and museums, cultural attractions, and institutions of higher education, Atlanta offers many things to do. Visit Georgia Aquarium, the largest public aquarium in the Western Hemisphere. Shop and enjoy great entertainment in Underground Atlanta. See wildlife shows at Zoo Atlanta. Catch a pro football, basketball or baseball game. Foodies will delight in local favorites, such as crab fritters, chicken biscuits, pulled pork sandwiches and salted caramel ice cream. Choose from many welcoming neighborhoods to live in, from downtown and midtown to Chastain Park, and from Buckhead to Cabbagetown, Kirkwood and Morningside. There’s also a good selection of public and private schools and nearby colleges and universities. Public transportation is excellent, and Atlanta is also served by Amtrak and Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.